Remove all clutter from the house:
Check the bathrooms & bedrooms:
- Are countertops free and clear?
- Have you removed unnecessary furniture throughout the house? There should be easy, clear traffic patterns and unobstructed pathways throughout the house.
- Remove the art gallery and coupon collection from the refrigerator.
Check the walls:
- Are the surfaces clean and clear? Check your grout lines.
- Are shower curtains and doors hung properly? Consider updated bed linens & shower curtains. Ask us & we'll guide you in the right direction. We know what photographs and shows best.
- Is the flooring clean and fresh?
- Are clean towels neatly hung & personal hygiene items tucked away?
Check the floors:
- Is paint and wallpaper fresh and clean?
- Are the walls free from holes?
- Are there any colors or objects on the walls that need to be removed?
Check windows and window coverings:
- Is the carpet clean and free from stains?
- Are hard surface floors clean and free from stains?
- Are all the windows clean?
- Are draperies and blinds clean?
How's the aroma?
- Are there any signs that this is a pet's home? Be sure to clean and remove kitty litter, pet toys and bedding.
Set the mood prior to showings:
- Try to air out the home prior to showings.
- If air freshener is necessary, use well before showings as a consideration to those with allergies.
- Open draperies and blinds. Keep some lights on.
- Turn on the radio to a classical music station, set the volume on low.
- If you have time, cook a batch of cookies to have the warm, welcoming aroma permeating the home. Don't overdo it with air fresheners and plug-ins.
Lisa Carey is a certified professional home stager. We offer free staging guidance and shopping assistance with all of our listings.